It’s not easy to find a pair of jeans that perfectly fits and flatters our body shape. Like you, I already spent several hours trying several jeans with none fitting properly, so I feel your pain.
Find the Perfect Jeans for your Body Shape
If you don’t know what your body type is, check out this online body shape calculator.
Jeans for Straight or Rectangular Body Shape
This is a very common body type. The Straight or Rectangle body shape has hips and bust basically the same size, but not a much defined waist. To make those curves pop out, you should try some of these tips:
- Low-waist jeans with a high back and a low front will help you create a waist;
- Straight leg, bootcut or flared will give the illusion of a larger hip zone, creating a waist;
- Jeans with details around the hip and bottom and pockets;
- If you use small to medium sizes, low-waist skinny jeans will also look perfect on you.
Here are a few examples on what you should look for your straight body type:
Jeans for Pear Body Shape
Since your hips are larger than your bust and you have a beautiful waist line, you should keep in mind the following tips for finding the perfect denim:
- Look for jeans with darker colors, to make sure that you don’t draw attention to your hips;
- Bootcut, Regular and Straight leg jeans are perfect for Pear shaped bodies;
- Don’t use skinny Jeans. This will just draw attention to your hips;
- Choose Jeans with stretch to make sure that you don’t add more volume to your hip zone.
Here are a few examples of what you should look for your pear shaped body:
Jeans for Hourglass Body Shape
You’re very lucky. Your body shape doesn’t need any “visual” correction, so you can basically wear what you want. Just make sure that when you add volume to your bottom, you add the same volume to your upper half, to not disturb your natural balance. Do wear jeans that enhance your perfect waist. Here are a few tips:
- You can wear bootcut, regular, flared, slim cut, straight and skinny jeans. If you use larger sizes, just avoid skinny jeans and slim cut and go for bootcut, flared or straight;
- Choose stretch fabrics;
- Look for jeans with mid rise waist;
- Golden stitching and details on the pocket zone near your hips and bottom, will draw attention to that zone.
Here are a few examples of what you should look for your hourglass shaped body:
Jeans for Inverted Triangle Body shape
Inverted Triangle is the opposite of the Pear. The wider zone is the bust and the hips are a bit slender than the bust zone. To balance your upper half with your hips you’ll need to create some volume in your bottom half. These are the perfect jeans for you:
- Bootcut and flared jeans are perfect for the Inverted Triangle shape;
- Play around with different colors and washes;
- Look for jeans with details on pockets or hips.
Here are a few examples of what you should look for your inverted triangle shaped body:
Jeans for Oval or Apple Body Shape
The Oval body type has a large bust, narrow hips and a full midsection. The greatest challenge of dressing an Oval or Apple body shape is to de-emphasize the stomach area and creating a defined waist. Look for the following jeans and trousers:
- Bootcut and straight jeans provide a lean and longer look;
- Look for jeans with a higher waist and are more relaxed at the hip zone and thighs without adding too much volume;
- Cargo pocket pants will also work for you;
- Jeans with push-in effect that slim your stomach area.
Here are a few examples of what kind of jeans you should look for your Oval or Apple body shape:
Jeans for Diamond Body Shape
Just like the Apple body type, Diamond’s also have a full midsection (tummy), but the hips are larger than the bust and shoulders. To properly dress this body shape, you need to balance your bust and shoulders with the hips, while creating a waist. Try the following:
- Straight leg and regular jeans will work for you;
- Choose jeans with darker colors;
- Bootcut jeans will do wonders for your diamond shaped body;
- Find jeans and pants with simple or no pockets so that you don’t draw attention to your hips;
- Skinny Jeans won’t work for you.
Here are a few examples of what you should look for your Diamond shaped body:
This is a guest post written by Irina Quintela. Irina is passionate about fashion and styling and is also the founder of Styling Up, a style shop that provides an online fashion styling service for women, where all clothes are recommended by fashion stylists.