M&S Style Evolution | Weddings & Honeymoon Capsule Wardrobe
On the 14th July I headed to Marks and Spencer’s flagship store at Marble Arch in London for their Style Evolution event. It was a fabulous day of collection browsing, capsule wardrobe building, macaroon munching and catching up with five fellow fashion and lifestyle bloggers.
Our brief for the day was to build a capsule wardrobe around our Style Evolution as we hit certain milestones in our life. M&S has created video content which you can see on their site here, to inspire their customers with capsule wardrobe ideas for different life stages. Whether that’s a wardrobe perfect for a first job, or perhaps a collection of staple outfits for a new mum. So we got to act stylists, focussing on our different life stages.
Here are the fabulous bloggers I spent the day with and their milestones:
Catherine from Not Dressed As Lamb – Transition from working in an office to home
Amanda from The Online Stylist – Ageless Style – style at any age
Kate from Wit Wit Woo – Dating in your 40’s
Natalie from Style Me Sunday – New mum style
Eva from Glamazon Blog– Moving up the career ladder
We spent a lot of time talking about style at any age. Discussing that you can wear any trend at any age, it is all about confidence and knowing what works for your body shape. It it also about appropriateness for a situation rather than being age appropriate. You can pull off a scuba dress at 60, if you make it work with your overall style, the length fits with the event you are attending and you feel confident in how you wear it. Age is but a number, Catherine and Amanda are great ambassadors for style at any age.
Check out the film below and see my fellow bloggers capsule wardrobes:
M&S Style Evolution | Weddings & Honeymoon Capsule Wardrobe
My milestone as a 2016 bride is wedding and honeymoon. Now clearly Marks and Spencer is not going to be my destination for a wedding dress. But as soon as you hit the milestone of being engaged, it seems that everyone in your social circle is at it. So I worked on what to wear to a wedding and how to combine that outfit into my own capsule honeymoon wardrobe.
Although my selection features SS15 pieces, it is all about the concept, the shape, the style rather than the colourways and print. Inspiration is what we were all about and I even had a women walking up to me, seeing the gorgeous printed trousers in my trolley, asking where she could grab a pair!
M&S Wedding Guest Outfit
As a wedding guest, whatever the season, I always favour a shift style dress and jacket as an outfit choice. I love this scuba skater style dress as it really cinches in at the waist and is super flattering for the stomach area. It falls fabulously above the knee, showing off the leg and the scoop neckline allows a fabulous opportunity to wear a statement necklace.
Now I have chosen an ivory jacket here. I am all for breaking the rules of “no white at weddings unless you’re the bride”, so long as you don’t wear a white dress. A white skirt or jacket with a colour block is perfectly acceptable these days. The shape of this jacket is effortlessly chic and will be a great coverup for a city break or dinner out during your honeymoon. A clutch box bag is always a winner at a wedding. It comes with a chain for chic wearing over the shoulder during the day, but you can tuck at that in at night and dance the night away whilst clutching it in your hand.
M&S Capsule Honeymoon Wardrobe
Whether you are jetting off to the Maldives for two weeks utter relaxation in an amazing setting, hitting the european cities with tours, shopping and culture or heading on a road trip across America. A capsule honeymoon wardrobe is what you need. One that you can mix and match key pieces to suit the sun, the city, dinner at the beach or at glamourous restaurant. Here are my key pieces for a honeymoon wardrobe.
- Breton Stripe Sweater – you can’t go wrong with this for day time chic with cropped trousers or throwing over your maxi dress when the nights get cool at the beach bar
- Jersey maxi dress – easy to throw on over your swimwear when you head to lunch, perfect for rolling up into your suitcase as you pack your bag for your road trip
- Printed cropped trousers – can add a touch of smart for your city break, dinner out in the city or your “off to the airport outfit” – I’d pack cotton trousers over jeans for your honeymoon.
- Cotton T shirt – you can’t go wrong with a staple cotton t shirt, work it with a denim skirt, cotton trousers or over your maxi dress for an easy day look
- Denim Skirt – allows you the luxury of denim, without the weight. Easy to throw on with some trainers when you head for a walk around the local vineyard. Works for a day trip out on a boat or sightseeing in the city.
- Cashmere Blanket Wrap – trust me, even if you’re off to 34 degrees in the sun, this wrap will be a godsend on the aeroplane. Easy to fold and use as a pillow if needed, it will keep you warm in the air-conditioned plane. You might find it comes in useful once the sun goes down if you’re in a city, out at the beach or off to an open air concert.
- Trainers – perfect plimsoll flats, easy to throw on, scoot around your destination and not have tired feet
- Stylish Flats – work with maxi dresses, cropped trousers, skirts – go for a bold colour to boost your wardrobe from the floor up
- White Messenger Bag – a stylish number that will be great as your hand luggage bag; fitting in water, guide book, your phone, wallet, passport – great for city breaks, destination honeymoons or exploring a new country; the closed top messenger style allows a little extra security when travelling
Here I am styling out two really simple pieces to pop in your honeymoon luggage:
- White Skirt – Great for weddings but also perfect for stylish dinners with your new husband
- Vest Top – this works great with the white skirt, tuck it in for a stylish look but wear during the day with your denim skirt or cropped trousers for a relaxed glamour style
Whatever your life stage, the milestone you have just made or your body shape. Make your style work for you. Follow the trends but build a capsule wardrobe of timeless staple pieces that you know you can add in a few latest fashion pieces to. Be true to your style and you will exude confidence. Marks and Spencer is a great destination for Your Style Evolution.
Thanks to the team at Marks and Spencer and Propellernet for a great day.
Wires Eyewear – African Fairtrade and Swiss TechnologyJuly 19th, 2016
How to look stylish AND professional at the officeJune 12th, 2016